This trifle is a impressive but easy way to enjoy one of spring’s most delicious fruits – the strawberry. Made with angel food cake and cool whip, it’s a not-too-sinful weeknight treat. If you’re entertaining, make it with heavy cream and chocolate sauce.
Strawberry Angel Food Trifle
- 1 angel food cake (see recipe below)
- 1 quart strawberries
- 1 pint heavy cream + 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla – OR – 1 small tub cool whip
- 1 cup chocolate sauce (see recipe below) OR Hershey’s syrup
Cut the angel food cake into 1 inch cubes and slice the strawberries. Whip the heavy cream in a mixer on high speed. Once it becomes stiff add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
Cover the bottom of the trifle dish with a layer of angel food cake pieces and cover it with a layer of strawberry slices. Top the strawberries with a layer of chocolate sauce and then a layer of whipped cream. Continue layering the angel food cake, strawberries, chocolate sauce and whipped cream until you reach the top of the trifle dish
Angel Food Cake
Yields 10 servings
- 6 room-temperature eggs*
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Separate the eggs. Place the egg whites in a mixer bowl with the cream of tartar, salt and the vanilla and almond extracts. Beat on high. Gradually add the granulated sugar. Once stiff peaks are formed, turn off the mixer. Sift together the powdered sugar and flour. Fold the flour mixture into the eggs whites, 1/4 cup at a time. Spoon the mixture into an ungreased bundt pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the cake is browned on top and springs back when touched. Invert the cake pan immediately after removing the cake from the oven.
*Tip: The egg whites will whip up much better if the eggs are at room temperature.
Yields approximately 1 cup
- 1/2 cup chocolate (such as chocolate chips or a chocolate bar chopped into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup whole milk, half and half or heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a small saucepan over low heat, mix together the chocolate and milk or cream. Stir frequently until the chocolate is melted. Add a pinch of salt and the vanilla.