Here it is! It turned out much better than I expected, thanks to my sister-in-law, Mikel! She is a cake genius!
Here are ten things I learned in the process of making my first wedding cake:
1) Making a wedding cake is hard work and not as fun as it looks on TV.
2) Perfectionists be aware: making a wedding cake is a messy process and the cake will never be completely perfect!
3) Making a wedding cake takes a long time. Be prepared to stay up late, and quite possibly all night. Prepare as much as you can in advance. Make and freeze the cakes and gather all of the supplies you will need so that you won’t have to worry about them on cake day.
4) Use a cake mix to make the cake. It makes it way easier and someone will undoubtedly tell you it’s the best wedding cake they’ve ever tasted because it won’t be dry.
5) Though there’s some art involved, making a wedding cake is more of a science (the baking, the structure of the cake, etc.)
6) Making a wedding cake is a lot better if you’re not doing it alone. Mikel and I had a lot of laughs throughout the night. In that sense it was fun, although I wouldn’t want to do it regularly.
7) If you send your husband to the store to get shortening, make sure to specify that you need vegetable shortening or you might end up with shortening that has beef extracts in it. That was one of our laughs.
8) Don’t get in line behind someone with WIC coupons at the checkout (although it does give you time to think of everything you might possibly need, and in our case it saved us a second store run…so maybe I should say DO get in line behind the WIC customer).
9) Making a wedding cake doesn’t cost as much as much as you might think, especially if you can borrow supplies from friends. Most bakeries charge about $4/serving so making a cake could save you several hundred dollars.
10) Seeing the smile on the bride’s face when she sees her wedding cake makes it all worthwhile. It is a good feeling to be able to make something that’s an important part of the couple’s special day.
Now for some pictures: